The Flagstaff House was originally built as a summer cabin in 1929 by Chicago schoolteacher Hattie Bilchert. In 1937, park ranger Joe van Gorder bought the cabin as a place to host special events. Later in 1954 the Buelkes family purchased the property, coined it “The Flagstaff House,” and re-established it as an elegant summer restaurant. When the Flagstaff House next became available for sale Don Monette jumped at the opportunity.
To this day there are three generations of the Monette family gracing the Flagstaff House.